Let's Talk Money

Monday, May 17, 2010

How Do You Discipline Your Child?

As a parent, each one of us have our own way to discipline our child. What I'm going to share here is how my father disciplined me when I was in my growing years. My mother passed away when I was only 8 years old. She had suffered from sickness when I was 5 and it took her 3 years to suffer until she died when I was 8. Since my mother got sickness, she was not able to take care of me and it was my father who taught me and disciplined me during my younger years.

He is and was not (he already passed away) a perfect father...nobody is, but I can proudly say that how he taught and disciplined me is the same way I'm doing to my daughter now. He teached me first the most important...to LOVE and RESPECT GOD. During those years when I get angry, I feel like ...
I want to "revenge" but he used to tell me that GOD said "REVENGE IS MINE". I didn't understand him that time and I taught then that by following what he said is like allowing others to just do whatever they want to me.

He also taught me about "HONESTY". I remember one time I went to buy something. My money was only 50 Pesos (Philippine Peso) and the store owner who taught that my money was 100 Pesos gave me a change equivalent to a change of 100 Pesos. I was very happy then, I said I have an extra money to give my father. When my father learned what I did, he was so angry and asked me to give back the store owner the extra change. I argued and told him that it was not my fault. It is then that my father said that we can only prove our honesty if we are honest with ourselves and to others. 

How to be humble. This was one of his teachings that I always remember with him. He taught me how to be humble but firm. We should not brag about whatever good things we have, instead just thank GOD for his blessings. 

As a child in my growing years, I used to make mistakes like any normal kid does. When I made mistakes, my father never scolded me in front of anybody or publicly. He patiently control himself and wait till we were alone before he scold me for what I had done. I never experienced embarrassment. When I was already in my teen age years, he taught me what is right and wrong but he gave me the freedom to choose the right direction. He made me understand the consequences if I choose the wrong direction especially that I'm a lady.

My father and me had some misunderstandings in the past but it's just a normal misunderstanding between a father and a daughter. Before there were some things that  I disagree with some of what he taught me, but now that I have my own daughter to guide, teach and discipline, I realized all what my father taught me then was for my own good. And this is what I'm doing with my daughter now.Thankfully, my daughter is following what I teach her. Of course being a child she can always make mistakes as part of her growing up and learning things, but she can avoid to make the worst mistake in her life if she continues to be this way.

Share


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your mom but your father is definitely a nice one. Thank you for this lesson of life. :) Hope your best for you and your family, especially for your daughter. And oh, thanks for your comment for my site too! Have a great day, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sir,
    Thanking you for your interest to join my blog link exchange,Please contact me in the E-mail mentioned(add your site) on my blog.

    ReplyDelete