Let's Talk Money

Sunday, August 21, 2016

"Poor Man's Food" and "Rich Man's Food"

Hello everybody. It's been awhile being absent. Quite busy with some other things. While I am busy with other things I spent some of my time to search and be learned about the different kinds of plants that can supply our body with the nutrients that we need to maintain good health.

I grew up in a province where during those days, meat was scarcely
being served on the table because it was not affordable for us to have at the time. My father was a farmer and we just depend on the vegetables in our backyard and the  vegetable plants that grew in the farm for us to cook each meal. Sometimes our breakfast is a newly cooked rice with just "bagoong" or salted anchovy followed with carabao milk or "gatas ng kalabaw" in tagalog. Sometimes our coffee  is toasted rice or in tagalog (sinangag na bigas). We toast the rice until it turns black then we just pour water in it and "presto" a delicious coffee mixed with carabao's milk. So yummy...! Usually our meat is native chicken meat but not always because we have to wait for the chicken to grow to an age that is right to cook. Not like today that barely 3 months we can already have a chicken meat because of the feeds that is being fed to the chickens for "fast" production. Fast remedy for better income and enough supply :) Your guess is as good as mine as a result to our body due to this fast production.

For our fish supply, we only depend on fishermen to catch fish like mud fish (dalag) and cat fish (hito) and other kinds of small fish in the lake or the river in our village. We are far from the sea which is in Aparri Cagayan. If they have a catch they sell in the village, if we have money we buy, but if we don't we just look at them passing by:) Quite a sad experience but happy to remember those days.

Such a very simple food to relate although while I am doing this post I can't avoid to think "how I wish those days I will experience again".  Compared to the delicious foods  of the middle class served on the table, ours can be called a simple or the so called "poor man's food". 

When I left my province to find a better life in the city, my way of life started to change and particularly with the foods that I eat. A new experience that I enjoyed a lot. Young as I was back then, I said to myself "this is life"...a city life and I was really happy.

The more that my life changed when I moved in Brunei as a wife to a local here. There has never been any problem when it comes to food. We can buy anything that we want to cook even the most expensive food...local and imported foods. 

However, as I advance in years and my body is getting "older" and weaker, I realize the difference of "poor man's food" and "rich man's food" especially in terms of nutrition. I would like to say before I go on that I am not a nutritionist or anything related to medicine or of any kind related to it in terms of achieved education. The things that I am telling here are all based on experience gained while I am advancing in years until I have my "white" hair as a sign of old age. As the saying goes "experience is the best teacher" and "grey hair is the sign of wisdom". 

At my age of 59 at present I learned a lot and, as life is a process of learning, I still want to continue learning while my memory is still active :)

In the Internet, tons and tons of information and testimonials is being read about nutritional plants and one of those plants is "MORINGA OLEIFERA".
This is my moringa plant in my backyard
I want to add my own experience with this so called "Miracle Tree" plant to those tons and tons of information. After all we are billions living in this planet earth and each human being have trillions and trillions of cells and with each cell of every human being, each have his/her own response with the nutrition provided by this "Miracle Tree" or any other kinds of plant.

I will relate it in my next posts...thank you very much folks for patiently reading. Till then, GOD Bless us all.





No comments:

Post a Comment